Friday, July 19, 2013

Drug comments

There were a lot of different drugs I took during my illness.  I thought I'd comment on a few of them here.  GBS patients deal with a lot of pain and a lot of the pain relievers don't work as well with GBS pain.

Also as I mentioned before some medicine don't work well on all people.  I've read that people with a higher IQ may reject the pain relief offered by some of the drugs.  I had very little pain relief from most of the drugs.

Oxycodone - this was my main form of daytime pain killer.  Even though it's a heavy duty narcotic, it only dulled the pain for me.  Like taking aspirin.  Later when I was nearly healed, I stopped taking it an my pain actually decreased (once I got past the withdrawl).  Note this drug does affect your intestinal muscles.  I had severe cramps during withdrawl and it took a long while for the muscles to start working properly.

Percocet - this is Oxycodone + Tylenol.  Avoid taking this and take Oxycodone instead.  No need to overwork your liver for a fever reducer if you don't have a fever.  Yes, they did prescribe this at first.

Oxycontin - this is just a slow/timed release version of Oxycodone.  Rather than a big rush it's supposed to give you a steadier stream for longer.

Dilaudid - this is the only pain reliever that really worked on me, but only in the IV form.  It is very powerful and would knock me out.  I had to have a central line put in to allow easier administration of this.  So I could only take it at night and used Oxy during the day.

Neurontin - this is a drug for nerve pain.  Nearly everyone in the physical therapy ward was on it.  And we also noticed that nearly everyone in the PT ward talked almost like a zombie.  They were slow to talk and very distant.  I nearly lost my mind on it.  I couldn't remember anything and barely knew my wife's name.  We stopped taking it immediately.  It seems to dull your whole nervous system.

Propofol/Diprivan - used this while in ICU to "sleep" at night.   Often used for the induced coma as well, but I stayed awake during the day






No comments:

Post a Comment